History of
DELHI

From History of Ingham and Eaton Counties, Michigan
by Samuel W. Durant
Published 1880 by D.W. Ensign & Co., Philadelphia

EARLY SETTLEMENT

The earliest settlement in the township is claimed by two parties, - Frederick R. LUTHER and John NORRIS. Luther entered land on section 9, May 4, 1837, and Norris on the 22nd of the same month on section 23. It is stated by Henry H. NORTH that LUTHER settled, with his family, in January, 1838, and in the same year came in John NORRIS, William WOOD, Joseph WILSON, and Philander MORTON. The latter settled on section 23 (some accounts say in 1839), and subsequently moved away. He has since died.

George PHILLIPS settled also on section 23 in 1839, and afterwards kept a hotel and the post-office at his place, which was at the Centre. He was a brother-in-law of A. D. ALDRICH.

Alonzo DOUGLASS settled on section 22 in 1840.

David WAIT also probably came in 1838. Darius ABBOTT settled in 1843, and John L. DAVIS and Z. L. HOLMES were early settlers. The THORBURNs came later, about 1848.

The NORTH family were early settlers in the county, their first permanent settlement being on section 32, in Lansing township.

Joshua NORTH,
the third son of Joseph E. NORTH, Sr., one of the earliest settlers in Delhi, came to Michigan in may, 1838, at the solicitation of his oldest brother, Joseph E. NORTH, Jr., who had exchanged land in Ingham township with Hezekiah FERGUSON, who had entered section 32, in Lansing township. The brothers worked clearing land on the Lansing property until the fall of the same year, (1838), when Joshua returned to the State of New York, stopping for a few weeks with an uncle who lived in Ohio. Joseph E. NORTH, Sr., visited Michigan in October, 1838, and entered a large tract of land, he and his son, Joseph E. Jr., having altogether 1280 acres.* While Joshua was absent in New York State his father wrote him to borrow a hundred dollars and come back to Michigan, which he did in November, 1839, bringing a lumber wagon, a few tools, and some dried fruit. The goods were shipped by the canal to Buffalo, and thence by the steamer "Michigan" to Detroit. The steamer was blown ashore at Buffalo in the great storm of 1844. From Detroit they shipped their goods by the Central Railway to Ypsilanti, then the terminus of the road, and from that point to Ingham County by ox-team, which Joseph E. NORTH, Jr., brought from Lansing to meet them.

When Joseph E. NORTH, Sr., removed with his family to Michigan, in 1839, he brought a yoke of oxen, purchased in Ohio, and a horse and buggy. At Detroit he hired four two-horse teams to transport his goods to Ingham County. Joshua met him at Mason upon his arrival there. Henry H. NORTH, the second son, had visited Michigan in 1837, and returned to the State of New York in 1838, where, in December  of that year, he married Miss Almira BUCK in Tompkins County, and in the spring of 1839 came again to Michigan with his father, where he permanently settled in the township of Delhi, south of his father's farm.* He and Joshua married sisters. Henry had nine children, seven of whom are still living. Several of his sons served the Union army during the Rebellion.

Joshua returned again to New York State in the fall of 1840, and on the 23d of january, 1841, married Miss Louisa BUCK, of Lansing, Tompkins Co., N.Y. In May, 1841, in company with his wife's eldest brother, Levi BUCK, and Monroe PACKARD, he returned once more to Michigan and settled permanently, in 1841, where he now resides on section 4, Delhi township. On his arrival with his wife and goods at Ann Arbor he found his father there with an ox-team and a load of wheat which he had brought to market. From thence, Henry's family and goods made the trip to Lansing in the old gentleman's ox-wagon.

Judge HUNTINGTON's father and John FRENCH had accompanied Joshua NORTH on his second trip to Michigan, in 1839. The judge was then a little boy. FRENCH was also accompanied by his family. Both FRENCH and HUNTINGTON settled near Eaton Rapids. Mr. HUNTINGTON was a shoe-maker by trade. Daniel BUCK, another brother of Mrs. NORTH, settled in Lansing in 1847, where he is still in the furniture business.

Henry H. and Joshua NORTH lived for a short time in the same house in the summer of 1841 until the latter could complete a log house. A part of the land now owned by Joshua was part of the purchase of his father in 1838. The old gentleman, according to the record, purchased land on section 33, Lansing township in 1837 and 1838, and on section 3, Delhi township, in November, 1838. Henry H. NORTH purchased on section 4, Delhi, in 1839 and 1841. Joshua has five children, two sons and three daughters; a son and a daughter, both married, are now living in Bloomington, Ill.

Joseph E. NORTH, Sr., surveyed the present road between Lansing and Mason as early as 1842; and ha also built the first bridge over Cedar River, on Cedar Street, at Lansing, about the same time. These transactions may have been a year or two earlier.

Joshua NORTH tells an incident of his early life in Michigan, which illustrates the wonderful development of the county from a wilderness condition it which it was found by the settlers of forty years ago. It was on the occasion of the birth of the first child in the township, a daughter of Henry H. NORTH. The family requiring a little additional help at that time, Joshua went on horseback and procured the services of a young woman living in the vicinity, and was taking her home behind him on the horse in the night, through a blind road which had been partly bushed out. He lost the path and looked for it in vain. The candle in the old-fashioned tin lantern which he carried threatened to become extinguished, and as a last resort he dismounted and made a fire in the slivered butt of a fallen tree, and leaving the young woman there searched again for the road, but not finding it concluded to make the best of the situation and stay by the fire until daylight. It was quite cool and the young people huddled close to the fire, while jumping and frisking about in the thick woods the gray wolves made anything but pleasant music to their ears. The girl was sure they were something dangerous, but young NORTH, knowing the terror they would inspire if she was fully aware of their character, insisted they were only owls, and partially quieted her fears. He knew well enough they would not attack them by their bright fire, for all wild animals have a mortal dread of this element; and so they sat and listened and watched until the day-dawn sent the unwelcome visitors to their haunts in the depths of the forest, and then went on their way. Mr. NORTH also relates how he and Benjamin LEEK, a son of Esquire LEEK, of Alaiedon, went through the woods to witness the marriage at Pine Lake, in Meridian, in May, 1839, of Henry JIPSON and a Miss DAVIDSON. Esquire LEEK performed the ceremony. The two young men went via Okemos, when, in attempting to cross the Cedar River on a raft of poles and hickory bark, they were precipitated into the swift waters up to their middle, and had to walk four miles farther to the place of rendezvous.

Matthew KING,
another early settler, was born in Lanarkshire, Scotland, in 1816. He came to America in 1838, and first stopped for a short time in Long Island, where he worked for a farmer near Jamaica until he could get money enough to go farther, having exhausted all his means in getting to New York. In the same year he came to Plymouth, wayne Co., Mich., where he remained until fall, when he went to Ann Arbor. When he first landed in this country he had never seen either corn or buckwheat growing in the field, and they were great curiosities to him. He thought corn in the ear was the most beautiful grain he had ever seen.

On his departure from Plymouth he forgot his money, and, not liking to beg, went without his supper and breakfast. He found work at Ann Arbor getting out railroad ties, which he and an Englishman took a job of doing. Here he worked until winter, when he was attacked by another thing new to him, - Michigan ague. In January, 1839, he hired to a Mr. Virgil BOOTH, at Lodi, Washtenaw Co., where he remained a little more than two years, when he was again taken sick. In 1841 he visited relations living in Canada, and remained nearly a year. In the spring of 1842 he came to the township of Delhi. He had purchased the southeast quarter of section 14, in December, 1840, at the Ionia land-office, previous to his visit to Canada. The winter of 1842-43 he passed, in company with his brother James, - who afterwards went to Minnesota and was killed on a steamer about 1855, - in a cavern which he dug in the side of the "hog-back," near where the depot at Holt Station now is. He built a chimney to it and made it quite comfortable. In the fall of 1843, Mr. KING erected a log dwelling near where his present residence now stands. He was then a single man, and Wm. COOK, also a Scotchman, who had married his sister, lived in his house about a year and he boarded with them.

He married Flora HUDSON, a daughter of John HUDSON, of New York, in 1846.

He built several additions to this log house, and about 1865 erected his present substantial and commodious residence. It is constructed of lime and sand, or gravel, the latter of which is plentiful in the ridge spoken of, on the top of which the dwelling stands. The ridge was formerly very narrow on the top and vert precipitous; but Mr. KING plowed and leveled it down some twelve or fifteen feet, and made a plateau on which to build his house. He did all the work on his dwelling with his own hands, except the carpenter work. There is a similar dwelling in the west part of the township, built by a man named TREAT.

Around his house on all sides Mr. KING has covered the ridge with a variety of shade and ornamental trees, including maple, cedar, pine, locust,, etc., and has also a splendid apple orchard on the slope east of his house, and a fine collection of pear- and peach-trees, and a long arbor, covered the present season with luscious grapes. His fruit is so abundant that it is worth very little except for his own family use. He also has a large barn built in the slope of the hill-side, and altogether a most comfortable and picturesque group of buildings and improvements.

The ridge, or "hog-back," in question is a remarkable locality for the production of fruit. Wherever orchards and vineyards have been planted on its top or sloping escarpments the yield of fruit is something wonderful, and the same bountiful crops of apples, pears, peaches, grapes, etc., described on the premises of Mr. KING, may be seen in equal perfection on the farm of John THORBURN, Esq., farther south, and in many other localities along its course through the township and county.

Caleb THOMPSON, born in Schoharie Co., N.Y., settled in Lenawee Co., Mich., in 1836. He entered the east half of the northwest quarter of section 22, Sept. 12, 1839, and settled on it in 1842. Smith THOMPSON, his brother, was in the township for a few years at a later date. Mr. THOMPSON has been a prominent citizen of the township for many years.

Darius ABBOTT settled in the spring of 1843 on the west half of the northwest quarter of section 22, adjoining Mr. THOMPSON.

William B. WATSON, from Chenengo Co., N.Y., purchased of section 13 in Delhi, and located there in 1845. he changed to his present location in section 23 in 1865. In 1847 he married a daughter of P.W. WELCH.

Price W. WELCH also settled on section 13 in the same year as Mr. WATSON, and brought his family in 1846. He died at the Corners in May, 1862, after having been for many years a prominent and respected citizen.

An interesting reminiscence of early days in Delhi, it may be stated that on the night of the 3rd of May, 1837, Henry A. HAWLEY, now a resident of Vevay township, who, with his brother Calvin, was hunting land, slept on the west slope of the "hog-back," a few rods south of where the road running east from Delhi Corners cuts through the ridge. The night was so cold that ice formed as thick as window-glass. There were no inhabitants then in the township.

Harvey LAMOREAUX, one of the early settlers, is of French extraction, and was born in Albany, N.Y., in 1819. He removed to Lenawee Co., Mich., in 1835, and from thence to his present location on section 10, Delhi township, in November, 1845. He purchased his land in 1844, and did some chopping upon it the same year, but did not move his family until 1845. His land was heavily timbered when he first settled, but he has cleared it off, and now has an excellent farm with good buildings and other improvements.

Among the first ministers who visited and preached in the township was Rev. Mr. BENNETT, of the Methodist Church.

The records of the Pioneer Society of Ingham County furnish the following facts:

Roswell EVERETT,
from Monroe Co., N.Y., settled at Plymouth, Wayne Co., Mich., in May, 1834, and in february, 1841, moved to Delhi, Ingham Co., with his family. He and his wife are both now deceased. William E. EVERETT, who furnished these items to the society, was but a year old when his parents came to Michigan.

Josiah HEDDEN,
A native of Lansing, Tompkins Co., N.Y., left that state with his wife and one child, Sept. 20, 1843, came to Michigan, and settled on section 13, in the township of Delhi. After cutting an opening and building a log house, Mr. HEDDEN found the locality in which he had settled was thickly infested with black rattlesnakes, or "massasaugas," and he speaks of having killed as many as twelve in one day on his place. In 1866, when the "saugers" were probably exterminated, Mr. HEDDEN sold his farm and removed to the township of Aurelius. His wife, when a small child, was rafted down to Olean, N.Y., with the rest of her father's family, and from there they floated down to the Ohio River, and finally landed in Virginia. Her father soon after died, and her mother moved back with the family to Tompkins Co., N.Y.

William LONG,
A native of Lower Canada, emigrated to Michigan in November, 1837, and settled at Adrian, Lenawee Co., Feb. 18, 1842. He located on section 14, in the township of Delhi, Ingham Co., where he yet resides.

Almond D. ALDRICH
Was born in Connecticut in 1815, and three years later accompanied his parents to Chenango Co., N.Y., He was married in 1837, and in 1844 moved to Michigan with his family and settled in the township of Delhi, Ingham Co., where he continued to reside until his death, April 11, 1878. "His worldly effects after arriving here were a horse-team and thirty dollars in cash. This small amount of cash he lost the first time he went into the woods to work, but found it after a while. Every cent they ever had was made by  their own straightforward industry...His religion was the best and highest of morality. No one did or ever could doubt his sincere honesty. A better neighbor never lived...His principal farm resources were his grain raising. It was A.D. ALDRICH who introduced in this section the celebrated Poland hog. No one ever went to his house for a good sociable visit who failed to get it. He took much comfort in hunting coons and foxes. Even in his old age he was always ready with the youngsters for a game of ball."

Mr. ALDRICH lost his life in consequence of a terrible accident, a heavy log having rolled against and upon him and broken his spine. He lived fifty-nine hours after that occurrence, and died on the date given.

The first dwelling erected by Mr. ALDRICH was a single-roof shanty, which he occupied for a few years, and then built a good split-log house. The fine brick dwelling on the place was erected in 1866. Since his death a son has died, and his widow also died in September, 1880. The big brick house is now unattended, but a son lives in a frame house on the opposite side of the road. He was a brother of H.J. ALDRICH, a resident at the Corners.

The ALDRICH farm contains 200 acres, and is one of the finest in the township.

_________________________________________

* According to the tract-book at Mason, Joseph E. North, Sr., had also entered land on section 33 in 1837, but whether he visited the State in that year is not certain.
*There is some discrepancy in the recollection of the members of the North family which we cannot reconcile, but the records seem to corroborate that of Henry H. North substantially.-Ed.

FIRST MARRIAGE and DEATH

The first marriage in the township was that of Russell P. EVERETT and Eliza A., daughter of Joseph E. NORTH, Sr. The first death was that of the wife of William WOOD in the summer of 1839.
The first marriage celebrated in the township, according to the bride's recollection, was that of William P. ROBBINS, of Alaiedon, and Lydia M. WELLS, of Delhi, July 6, 1842. Russell EVERETT and Eliza Ann NORTH were married several months later.

HOLT (CENTRE) and FIVE CORNERS

The two clusters of buildings known as the CENTRE (or HOLT) and FIVE CORNERS contain three churches, one hotel, two general stores, one post office, three physicians (one a mile west), two wagon-shops, a fine school building, a steam saw-mill, a harness-shop, two blacksmiths, and about thirty-two dwellings, among the most conspicuous of the latter being those of Dr. CHADDOCK and H.J. ALDRICH, the latter of brick.

A village called "Delhi" was laid out originally at the railroad station known as Holt by Matthew KING, who was proprietor of the land; but failing to place his plat on record, after selling a number of lots, he joined the several owners and perfected the legal title by recording the plat and proprietors' names. The names of these, as they appear on the record at the register's office in Mason, are Minor E. PARK, Matthew KING, J.M. ABELS, Stephen CRONKITE, and George MAUK, and the date of platting July 24, 1877. Within the limits of this plat, which probably covers some sixty acres, there are a passenger station, a grain elevator and freight depot combined, the steam-mill of J.M. ABELS, and about a dozen dwellings. A telephone connects the station with Holt post-office, and there is an express and telegraph office also.

SMALLPOX

In July and August, 1852, this dreaded disease visited Delhi and carried off a number of persons. Among those infected were Samuel FURGESON, Sally MORTON, John MORTON, Caroline MORTON, the wife and minor children of A.B. MORTON; Jeannette and Rachel ANDERSON, children of David ANDERSON; Salem and Angeline LAMOREAUX, children of Harvey LAMOREAUX; Malinda FISHEL, wife of Henry FISHEL; Lewis C. BURCH, Mrs. BURCH and Danforth BURCH.

The board of health for the township took possession of the dwelling of Lewis C. BURCH and made use of it for hospital purposes for about a month; and also employed the following persons to take care of the patients, - viz., Dr. L.R. CHADDOCK, physician, and Alonzo DOUGLASS, Mrs. BURCH, and Jeanette ANDERSON as nurses. For their services they were paid the following sums:

L. R. Chaddock.....$30.00
Alonzo Douglass.....$43.88
L.C.Burch (for house rent).....$30.00
Mrs. L.C.  Burch.....$15.00
Jeanette Anderson.....$12.00
William Ferguson, as messenger.....$4.00

These sums were charged to several individuals as follows:

Alexander B. Morton.....$37.50
Samuel Ferguson.....$13.28
L.C. Burch.....$35.52
Harvey Lamoreaux.....$24.50
David Anderson.....$16.71
Henry Fishel.....$7.37

ORIGINAL LAND ENTRIES
(Link to Page)

1844 RESIDENT TAXPAYERS

The following is a list of the resident taxpayers in the township of Delhi in 1844:

Roswell EVERETT Russell P. EVERETT
Z.L. HOLMES Ransom EVERETT
J.B. LUTHER F.R. LUTHER
John CHAPMAN Dexter PHILLIPS
Perry ROOKER Joshua NORTH
Henry H. NORTH John NORTH
Seth NORTH David WAIT
Othniel ROBERTS Henry GROVENBURGH
Jerome GROVENBURGH B.F. GROVENBURGH
John McKEOGH Thomas J. BROWN
Platt CASE D.H. STANTON
Ansel PRIEST J.R. TREMLEY
Elias RALPH Amasa FULLER
Matthew KING George PHILLIPS
William LONG Philander MORTON
Lewis PARRISH John FERGUSON
William COOK Josiah HEDDEN
Lorenzo DAVIS John DAVIS
Miles MORTON A.D. MORTON
Hiram TOBIAS Lewis BURCH
Darius ABBOTT Caleb THOMPSON
Alexander MORTON Alonzo DOUGLASS
Samuel DUNN John DUNN
John NORRIS Joseph WILSON
Chester HAWLEY

TOWNSHIP OFFICERS

The township of Delhi was organized from Alaiedon as a congressional township on the 16th of February, 1842, by act of the State Legislature.

The name "Delhi" is credited to Roswell EVERETT, who is said to have inserted it in the petition for a new township sent to the Legislature. Whether he took it from the ancient Hindoo city of that name, or from some more modern town, is uncertain.

The first town meeting was held in a log school-house at Delhi Centre, April 4, 1842, which organized by appointing David WAIT as chairman, and Roswell EVERETT, Caleb THOMPSON, D.H. STANTON, and Henry H. NORTH as inspectors of election. The whole number of votes polled was twenty-two. The following is a complete list of officers chosen:

Supervisor - Henry H. NORTH (16 votes); H.H. NORTH (3 votes); David WAIT (1 vote); A. DOUGLASS (1 vote); George PHILLIPS (1 vote).
Town Clerk - Caleb THOMPSON (20 votes); John PIERCE (1 vote); Hiram TOBIAS (1 vote)
Treasurer - Roswell EVERETT (20 votes); R. EVERETT (1 vote); D.A. MORTON (1 vote)
Assessors - Roswell EVERETT, Caleb THOMPSON.
Justices - Roswell EVERETT (three years); Samuel DUNN (four years); Alonzo DOUGLASS (one year); Daniel H. STANTON (two years).
Commissioners of Highways - John FERGUSON, Hiram TOBIAS, John NORTH.
School Inspectors - David WAIT, John FERGUSON, Caleb THOMPSON.
Directors of the Poor - John DAVIS, Hiram TOBIAS.
Constables - Hiram TOBIAS, Perry ROOKER.

The following gives the names of the principal township officers since 1842:

YEAR SUPERVISOR CLERK TREASURER JUSTICE (S)
1843 Roswell EVERETT John FERGUSON Alonzo DOUGLASS Alexander B.MORTON,
Henry H. NORTH
1844 Russell P. EVERETT Caleb THOMPSON Josiah HEDDEN Henry H. NORTH,
Thomas J. BROWN
1845 Russell P. EVERETT Caleb THOMPSON Joshua NORTH Hiram TOBIAS,
Thomas J. BROWN
1846 Russell P. EVERETT Darius ABBOTT David WAIT Joseph WILSON
1847 David WAIT Caleb THOMPSON Frederick R. LUTHER Josiah HEDDEN
1848 David WAIT Thomas R. MOSHER Caleb THOMPSON Henry H. NORTH
1849 Roswell EVERETT Thomas J. BROWN Caleb THOMPSON Champlin HAVENS,
Theodore P. GAVETT
1850 Caleb THOMPSON Denison H. HILLIARD Frederick R. LUTHER Thomas R. MOSHER
1851 Caleb THOMPSON D.H. HILLIARD Seth NORTH Simeon CORBIT,
Philip J. PRICE
1852 David WAIT D.H. HILLIARD Jonathan B. MOSHER John STAPLES
1853 D.H. HILLIARD Caleb THOMPSON Jonathan R. MOSHER Henry H. NORTH,
William B. WATSON
1854 John FERGUSON Caleb THOMPSON Seth NORTH Thomas J. BROWN
1855 D.H. HILLIARD Caleb THOMPSON Thomas R. MOSHER David SPEAR
1856 John FERGUSON D.H. HILLIARD David WAIT Philip J. PRICE,
Caleb THOMPSON
1857 Denison H. HILLIARD Caleb THOMPSON John FERGUSON John FERGUSON,
Asa SMITH
1858 Caleb THOMPSON John FERGUSON Amos H. HILLIARD* Wm. P. PHILLIPS,
D.H. HILLIARD
1859 Philip J. PRICE Caleb THOMPSON* D.H. HILLIARD John FERGUSON
1860 John FERGUSON Casper LOTT Joseph G. HUNT Andrew J.TOWNSEND
John D. CARY
1861 John FERGUSON William COOK Joseph G. HUNT D.H. HILLIARD
1862 Philip J. PRICE* John FERGUSON Henry J. ALDRICH John THORBURN
1863 John FERGUSON Caleb THOMPSON Henry J. ALDRICH John THOMPSON
1864 David WAIT John THOMPSON Dwight S. PRICE John BUCK
1865 John FERGUSON John THOMPSON Henry LOTT D.H. HILLIARD
Wm. COOK
1866 John THOMPSON William B. WATSON Henry LOTT John THORBURN
1867 John THOMPSON William B. WATSON Dwight S. PRICE John FERGUSON
1868 Dwight S. PRICE John THOMPSON Henry J. ALDRICH Nelson HILLIARD
1869 John FERGUSON Philip J. PRICE Henry J. ALDRICH Charles L. SMITH
1870 John FERGUSON William B. WATSON John THOMPSON Dwight S. PRICE
1871 Dwight S. PRICE William B. WATSON John THOMPSON John FERGUSON
Philip J. PRICE
1872 John FERGUSON William B. WATSON Nelson HILLIARD C. Newton SMITH
1873 John FERGUSON William B. WATSON Henry LOTT Nathaniel W. HILL
Jesse B. CONKLIN
1874 John FERGUSON Caleb THOMPSON Henry LOTT Jesse B. CONKLIN
1875 William B. WATSON Minor E. PARK Henry LOTT L.R. CHADDOCK
John THOMPSON
1876 William B. WATSON Minor E. PARK Henry LOTT James M. ABELS
1877 John THOMPSON Amos T. GUNN Henry LOTT Nelson HILLIARD
1878 William B. WATSON Amos T. GUNN H.J. BOND George MALLORY
1879 L.R. CHADDOCK A.B. PULVER Henry LOTT Dwight S. PRICE
1880 Lyman W. BAKER Minor E. PARK Henry LOTT Nelson HILLIARD
John THOMPSON

1880 Misc. Officers
Superintendent of Schools: Joel S. WHEELOCK
School Inspector: Alonzo THOMPSON
Highway Commissioner: Addison STONE
Drain Commissioner: Edmund W. MOOERS
Constables: Miles T. BROWN, John D. THORBURN, Eugene WILCOX

*Amos H. Hilliard died in the winter of 1858-59, and D.H. Hilliard was appointed in his place for the unexpired term, Feb. 21, 1859
*Caleb Thompson resigned the office of township clerk June 11, 1859, and John Ferguson was appointed on the same day to fill the vacancy.
*Mr. Price died while in office, and on the 19th of March, 1863, D.H. Hilliard was appointed supervisor in his stead.

WAR BOUNTIES

On the 16th of September, 1864, the electors of the township voted by forty-two against one to raise $2100 to pay volunteers at the rate of $100 each who should enlist from the township in the United States Army.

On the 6th of October, 1865, the township board resolved to raise the following amounts for the ensuing year:

For veteran soldiers' fund $500
To pay a bounty of $150 to volunteers 1325
To pay a bounty of $100 to volunteers 3900
For contingent expenses 300
Total for 1866 $6025

On the 16th of September, 1864, the following orders were issued to volunteers for the army by authority of the township board. Whether the names are all those of soldiers is not stated:

Peter SMITH $100 George SLATER $100 Eli W. CHANDLER $100
Thomas C. SMITH $100 George W. BROWN $100 Frank BLATTER $100
S.S. SWAZY $222 Henry CHADDOCK $150 John DOOLITTLE $55
Judson CORY $150 Samuel WILLOUGHBY $150 William WILLOUGHBY $150
D.T. ROWLER $150 H.E. NORTH $150 Albert FISHEL $150
Franklin FULLER $100 William C. BEAL $100 Nathan L. COOLEY $100
Joel DUNN $100 Frank STONE $100 Addison STONE $100
David DAWSON $100 Joseph BUSH $100 Leonard MURPHY $88
Benjamin RUTTA $150 Timothy L. HILLIARD $100 James GORDEN $70
John HUNT $105 James TOWER $150 Conrad HELWIG $150
Robert FULTON $150 John SURRATO $150 John DOOLITTLE $150
George FISHEL $100

No explanation of the sums other than $100 and $150 is given, but the people of the township may understand the matter.

HOTELS

The first building used for a tavern at the Centre was erected by Price W. WELCH, probably in 1848; at any rate, we find by the township record that he was licensed on the 6th of January, 1849, to keep an inn and sell liquors from that date to the 1st of April following, and this must have been in the old tavern stand, as it is described as being on the southeast quarter of the southwestern quarter of section 14.

The first license to keep a hotel and sell liquors was granted to John FERGUSON on the 29th of April, 1848; and, according to the record, his house was located on the east half of the northwest quarter of section 23, which would be on the south side of the east-and-west road passing through Centre, and west of the quarter-section line, which passed a little east of the school-house. FERGUSON afterwards erected and kept a tavern at the "Five Corners," where he was subsequently burned out.

Among the landlords who have kept the regular hotel at the Centre may be mentioned Joseph HUNT, William WILLOUGHBY, Frank NORTH, John DECKER, and John FERGUSON. The present landlord is David LAYCOCK.

George PHILLIPS, the first settler at the Centre, opened the first place for the accommodation of the public in his dwelling on the northeast quarter of section 22, some time in the spring of 1847, but the place was not considered a regular hotel. He also had the post-office in his house when first established at the Centre.

POST OFFICE

The first post-office in the township was kept in the dwelling of George PHILLIPS, the first settler at the Centre, in 1839. The office was established, as near as can be ascertained, about 1848. How long Mr. PHILLIPS, who was a farmer, kept the office, is not known, but Price W. WELCH, who opened a hotel in 1848, seems to have succeeded Mr. PHILLIPS after a short time. Caleb THOMPSON succeeded WELCH in 1858, and held until 1861. Mr. THOMPSON was then in trade, and the office was kept in his store.

Samuel HOFFMAN, who was also a merchant, succeeded him in 1861, and had the office in his place of business, but he seems to have held it only a short time, and was followed by S.S. GIDNEY, who officiated for a brief period about 1863, and was followed by Mr. HOFFMAN. After him came Lyman W. BAKER, and he was succeeded by the present incumbent, James WIGMAN, in March, 1878. The office was known as Delhi Centre until about 1859, when it was named HOLT, in compliment to Postmaster-General Holt.

The first mails were few and far between, but now the office is in daily communication with the outside world by mail, telegraph, and telephone.

MERCHANTS

There was never any village plat laid out at the centre, all the lots being sold and described by metes and bounds, but it has been the location of nearly all the business interests of the town. The first mercantile establishment was opened by Robert SMITH about 1857. In 1859, Messrs. MOSHER & THOMPSON bought him out, and continued until 1862, when MOSHER sold his farm and removed to East Saginaw, selling his interest in the store to Mr. THOMPSON, who continued the business until 1864. He and MOSHER had also carried on the boot and shoe business together. MOSHER sold the shoe business to samuel F. HOFFMAN, and THOMPSON took the dry goods. During their continuance together Mr. THOMPSON was deputy post-master for HOFFMAN. THOMPSON sold his interest to HOFFMAN in 1864. HOFFMAN and WATSON were also in business together for a time. several others were probably in trade at different periods. U.T. WATROUS was running a mercantile establishment at the old corner in September, 1880, but was on the point of disposing of the business to a new party. The new frame store was erected by ELMER & BAKER.

The first merchants who kept where the post-office building now stands were Messrs. HOFFMAN & WATSON. Others have been Henry LOTT, and LOTT & WIGMAN, who were burnt out in the spring of 1879. Mr. James WIGMAN erected the new brick store in 1879. He had also been previously burnt out on the opposite side of the street. He built the brick store after being burnt out the second time.

MANUFACTURES

The manufacturing establishments of a farming community must necessarily be neither many nor extensive; nevertheless, they are of sufficient importance to demand notice in Delhi township, and we give what information has been obtained concerning them.

Steam Saw-Mills.
The first steam saw-mill in the town was built by Messrs. LEE and CORY, a firm from Ohio, in 1856. They operated it for a while, and it then changed hands a number of times until about 1864, when Mr. J.M. ABELS purchased it and kept in operation for about three years, and sold to John M. KELLER, who operated it for several years, and sold to John KROTZ, his brother-in-law, who is still the owner. It is an "upright" mill, and is propelled by a thirty horse-power steam-engine.

J.M. ABELS erected the mill he now owns in the village of Holt in 1870. It is fitted with circular saws, and constructed to do a heavy business. A shingle-mill was added about 1871. Previous to the erection of this mill, Mr. ABELS operated a portable mill on the ground for a short time.

The new mill did an extensive business for a number of years, until the visible supply of timber began to diminish and the introduction of pine lumber and shingles lessened the demand to a considerable extent for hard-wood lumber, and particularly shingles.

In the busiest times employment was furnished to five first-class hands, and lumber to the amount of 1,500,000 feet was manufactured in a single season, working about eight to nine months. The amount produced has somewhat diminished with the diminishing demand, and the present year - 1880 to 81 - the number of feet will be about 700,000. The mill has always had a capacity exceeding the demand. It is run by a sixty horse-power steam-engine.

Mr. ABELS was formerly in the same business with Mr. Christopher HAAG at Windsor, Eaton Co., Mich. He sold out to his partner and removed to Delhi, as before stated, in 1864. He was formerly from Weedsport, Cayuga Co., N.Y., from which place he removed to Potterville, Eaton Co., Mich., in 1857.

Christopher HAAG removed the machinery of the Windsor Mill to section 5, Delhi township, where he erected a new mill in 1864, and has since continued the business. His mill is fitted up with upright saws and run by steam. He does a smaller business than Mr. ABELS, but runs nearly continuously year round.

Carriage- and Wagon-Shops
Addison STONE has been in the carriage business at the "Five Corners" for ten or twelve years.For some years he carried on quite an extensive business, but for a number of years past has been principally engaged in farming.

Augustus JULLEER opened a shop at the Centre in April, 1878, and is doing most of the business in the carriage line. He manufactures carriages and wagons, wheelbarrows, etc., and does general repairing work.

The present blacksmith at the Centre is John WEST. The first blacksmith at the Centre was probably Nelson HILLIARD, who began at the Corners. He now has a shop on section 10.

Foundry and Repair-Shops
An establishment of this kind was put in operation on section 24, about half a mile southeast from Holt Station, by Edwin SHAW in the spring of 1875. Israel WOOD became interested in the fall of 1879. The business includes the manufacture of land-rollers, plows, drags, cultivators, and general repairing. Power is furnished by steam-engine. The firm is now SHAW and WOOD. The location is not favorable for prosperous business, and the intention is to eventually remove to a better business point.

Brick
Messrs. Henry LOTT and M.T. BROWN opened a brickyard on the southwest quarter of section 13, and have manufactured brick during the two seasons of 1879 and 1880.

There are also three cider-mills in the township. E.W. MOOERS has quite an extensive establishment run by steam on the southeast quarter of section 9. At the Centre are two shoemakers, Charles GOLDWOOD and Adam FINKBINDER, and one harness-maker, Lewis RUPERT.

PHYSICIANS

Leverett R. CHADDOCK
was born in Alexander, Genesee Co., N.Y., Aug. 7, 1824. His early education was obtained at the seminaries of Alexander and Bethany, in Genesee County. In 1845 he removed to Lapeer Co., Mich., and subsequently to Ionia County. He read medicine with Dr. Cornell, of Ionia, and attended medical colleges at Cleveland and Chicago. In 1850 he settled in Delhi, where he has since practiced his profession and won a good reputation as a professional gentleman and citizen. He belongs to the regular school.

Dr. William MATTHAEI,
a graduate of Ann Arbor, and a student of medical schools in Germany, removed to Delhi from Lansing, where he had been in practice, about 1868, and has since practiced there. He resides about one mile and a half west from the Centre, and is a member of the homoeopathic school.

Dr. Joel S. WHEELOCK
was born in Lockport, Niagara Co., N.Y. He was educated at the Michigan University, where he graduated June 27, 1878. He also attended the college at Battle Creek, Mich., and resided in that city and in Midland County for a number of years previous to attending the university.

He located and commenced practice in Delhi (at the Centre) in the fall of 1878, and from small beginnings has built up quite an extensive and lucrative practice, and has won a fine reputation. He is a disciple of Hahnemann.

SECULAR ORDERS

Delhi Grange, Patrons of Husbandry, No. 322, was organized in March, 1874. The charter bears date at Washington D.C. July 8, 1874. The charter members numbered about thirty, and the paying membership is now about forty-five. The grange meets in a hall over the store of WIGMAN & BOND. The Worthy Masters have been John FERGUSON, Dan H. RICE, Benjamin OHLINGER, William COOK, and George D. GREEN.

The INDEPENDENT ORDER of GOOD TEMPLARS

A lodge of the Independent Order of Good Templars was organized in March, 1879 with nineteen members. The charter bears date March 3, 1879. The Worthy Chiefs have been V.D. GREEN, M.T. BROWN, John WEST, O.D. WRIGHT, H.J. BOND. The present membership is about sixty-five.

Red Ribbon Club was organized in 1877, and the membership has been as high as 200. The present president is M.W. HILL.

CHURCHES

First Presbyterian
This church was organized April 5, 1865, principally through the instrumentality of Rev. Alfred BRYANT. Rev. Horace KITTREDGE was also a valuable assistant in the enterprise. The original members were as follows:

James THORBURN
 Sr. (since dead)
Marion THORBURN
William SOMMERVILLE Casper LOTT
Mrs. Jane SOMMERVILLE
(since dead)
Catherine LOTT
Mrs. Mary HEDDEN Mrs. Maria L. MALLORY
(since dead)
Susan THOMPSON Miss Alice M. MALLORY
(now Mrs. PIXLEY)
Mrs. Harriet STANTON Miss Hattie STANTON
(now Mrs. BRISTOL)
Mrs. Fanny HARKNESS Mrs. Arrena GUNN
(now Widow STRICKLAND)
Church WILBER William IRWIN
Mrs. Hannah WILBER Mrs. Lane THORBURN
(now Mrs. G.W. MALLORY)
James THORBURN, Jr. Mr. G.W. MALLORY
(joined at a later date)

The first minister was Rev. Alfred BRYANT, as stated supply, who remained three years, when he removed to North Lansing. Rev. Hosea KITTREDGE succeeded as stated, supply May 9, 1969, and continued until April 1871. Following him in September, 1872, came Rev. J.E. WEED, who officiated until April, 1877. Rev. J. E. BUCHER, from New York, then preached for about four months in the summer of 1877, and was followed by Rev. Alfred BRYANT a second time, who filled the desk from the fall of 1877 to June, 1880, when he retired on account of advancing age and ill health, removing to Lansing, where he has a home. At present (September 1880) the society is without a settled pastor.

The church edifice at the Centre was erected in 1869, at a cost of about $2000, of which sum $500 was contributed by the general church erection board. It has a tower and bell. The bell weighs 500 pounds, and was purchased in Cincinatti, Ohio, at a cost of $150. The church is also furnished with a cabinet organ, which cost about $200.

The present membership is about eighty. A Sabbath-school was organized near the time the church was completed. It was at first a mission school of the Methodist and Presbyterians, but has been a Presbyterian school since about 1870. It has an average attendance of some 100 scholars, with five officers and eleven teachers.

The present ruling Elders are Casper LOTT and G.W. MALLORY. The board of trustees is composed of Casper LOTT, James THORBURN, William COOK, W.H. CHURCHILL, L. W. BAKER, and William LONG; Clerk, G.W. MALLORY.

Methodist Episcopal
There were a few Methodists living in Delhi at an early date, probably at the first settlement of the township; and Rev. BENNETT preached occasionally in the dwellings of the settlers or in the early school buildings. Among the early ones were Mrs. Isabella ABBOTT, Mrs. George PHILLIPS (the latter since dead), Mrs. Dr. CHADDOCK, Mrs. Alonzo DOUGLASS (since dead), and possibly others.

William MAYER, a native of England, who settled in Ohio in 1850, and removed to delhi in 1854, and Albert McEWEN, from Ohio, were early members. About 1854, Mr. McEWEN organized a class. At first meetings were held in the old school building at the Corners, and at a later date in the German Methodist church at the "Five Corners," the Germans and others using the building alternately. This arrangement continues for about five years.

The individuals of this society assisted in the building of the German church. The new Methodist Episcopal church at the Centre was erected in 1876, at a cost of about $1590. It was furnished with a bell and cabinet organ. Among the earlier preachers were Revs. CLUMP, KELLOGG, DODGE, and CRITTENDEN. The first who preached in the new edifice was Rev. Jason CADWELL, and following him came Rev. B.W. SMITH.

The ministers who have officiated at Delhi have for a number of years resided at Okemos, in Meridian township, where there is an older society.

The Delhi society formerly belonged to the Mason Circuit. The present circuit comprises Okemos, Delhi, Alaiedon, and perhaps other points.

The present membership of the Delhi society is about sixty, divided into three classes. A Sabbath-school, with about fifty scholars and five teachers, is sustained.

German Methodist Episcopal
This church was organized in 1873, and in the same year a building for public worship was erected at what is known as "Five Corners," - half a mile from the Centre, or Holt post-office, - at a cost of $2000. The parsonage at the Corners is valued at $800.

The pastors of this society, who reside here, have been Revs. G.A. REYTER, G.H. FIEDLER, A. MAYER, and the present incumbent, Daniel VOLZ.

The original members were A. HELMKER, local preacher; A. WIGMAN, J. SCHROITZGAEBEL, G. DIEHL, L. DIEHL, G. ROTH, Ernest DIEHL, G. AHREND. The congregation of the church at present numbers 118 full members and 10 probationers.

The church sustains a flourishing Sabbath-school, with 70 scholars, and 20 officers and teachers, and has a very good library of 130 volumes. The pastor of this church also holds services at Okemos, where there is a small society of German Methodists.

Obligations are tendered to Joshua NORTH, Caleb THOMPSON, Matthew KING, Minor E. PARK, J.M. ABELS, Dr. L.R. CHADDOCK, G.W. MALLORY, William MAYER, Rev. D. VOLZ, and others, who rendered valuable assistance in compiling the history of Delhi.

Return to Ingham County
MIGenWeb