INGHAM COUNTY SCHOOLS
From History of Ingham and Eaton Counties, Michigan
by Samuel W. Durant
Published 1880 by D.W. Ensign & Co., Philadelphia
School was first taught in the township at Jefferson village, by Mary Ann ROLFE, in a log school-house which was built in the summer of 1837, Miss ROLFE teaching a summer term that year. Miss Lydia M. WELLS, of Delhi, now Mrs. William P. ROBBINS, of Alaiedon, taught in the same district (No. 1) four months in the summer of 1840.
In District No. 2 a small log shanty was built, for use as a school-house, in 1839, and Miss Harriet CHILD - now Mrs. WRIGHT, of MASON - taught in it for six weeks. The building was destroyed by fire in the winter of 1839 -40, and the district now contains a neat and substantial brick school-house, built within a few years.
Oct. 3, 1839, District No. 1 reported twenty-six pupils. Seven months' school had been held in the district in that year. In 1841 the several districts reported as follows:
From the report of the township school inspectors for the year ending Sept. 1, 1879, the following items are taken:
The first meeting of the board of township school inspectors was held May 21, 1837, at the house of E.T. CRITCHETT, but no business was transacted, and they adjourned to meet August 12th, at the house of William PAGE. The meeting was held at the place and on the day given, when the south half of what is now Leslie township was organized as District No. 1; the north half of the same town as District No. 2; that portion of what is now Onondaga township lying east of the Grand River as District No. 3; that portion of the same township west of Grand River as District No. 4; the south half of what are now Vevay and Aurelius as District No. 5; and the north half of the same township as District No. 6. Nov. 6, 1837, the southwest portion of what is now Alaiedon was organized as District No. 7; on the same day District No. 8 was formed, including sections 3,4,5,8,9,10,15,16,and 17, in what is now the township of Vevay. Various other changes were made as the population increased and the township was divided. In 1843 the various districts in Aurelius contained pupils as follows: No. 1, 73; No. 3, 17; No. 4, 22; fractional No. 6, 20. A new school-house was built in that year in No. 1, at a cost of $100. In No. 1, seven and a half months of school were taught by John E. SMITH, at ten dollars a month, and four and a half months by Julia A. SMITH at a dollar per week. In No. 3, Jane AUSTIN taught taught for a dollar per week, and in Fractional District No. 6, Daniel PALMER taught four and a half months at thirteen dollars a month, and Elizabeth NOYES four months at a dollar and a quarter per week. other teachers were employed in the years named, in the various districts as follows:
1843, Luther B. HUNTOON; 1844, Martha SMITH (certificate given June 22, 1844, for one year), Zaccheus BARNES, Maria S, HOWLAND; 1845, Matilda A. MONTGOMERY, Hannah MILLER, Susan MILLER; 1846, Lucretia COCHRAN, Hannah CONVERSE, Mary Ann ROLFE, Mary HILL, James C. BUTTS.
The first school in the township was taught in the southwest corner thereof, in the summer or winter of 1837, in a small log building which stood in the extreme corner of town at the county-line. The name of the teacher is not now recollected. When the family of Joseph L. HUNTINGTON arrived in the township, in the spring of 1838, they occupied this building until they could prepare a dwelling on their own place, a mile north.
In the north part of town a log school-house was built on the farm of George B. WEBB in 1844, and a summer term of school was taught in that year by Martha SMITH. That was the first in the neighborhood.Among those who sent children were Reuben R. BULLEN, George B. WEBB, John and Ezekiel NILES, John WRIGHT, and others.
From the report of the township school inspectors for the year ending Sept.
1, 1879, the following items are taken:
The first school building at the Centre was of logs, on the ground near where now stands the present fine brick building, and according to the best information was erected as early as 1840. It served a very good purpose until about 1852, when a larger frame building was erected where the log one stood. This did duty until 1875, when the present building was erected at a cost, exclusive of furniture, of about $1800. The furniture cost $500. The old building was moved a few rods to give place to the new one, and is still standing. The new one has a fine cupola and bell. It is divided into two large rooms, and has accommodations for 100 scholars. The present school is divided into two departments, primary and intermediate, and employs two teachers. It is the largest school in the township. The next largest is the Maple Grove School No. 5, fractional with Windsor township, in Eaton County.
The number of school districts in 1880 is eleven, of which seven are whole districts and four fractional.
The first record touching school districts in the township bears date March 2, 1843, at which time the boundaries of school district No. 1 are described as follows: Sections Nos. 15, 22, west half of 23, and 14.
Though this is the first action, it appears farther along in the record that District No. 2 was organized as a school district on the 6th of December, 1842, and was composed of sections 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, and 10. The school inspectors were then David WAIT and Caleb THOMPSON.
District No. 3 is described, under date of March 2, 1843, as being comprised of sections 1, 2, 11, 12, 13, 24, 25, and the east half of 14, 23, 26.
At a meeting of the inspectors, held May 6, 1843, Thomas J. BROWN was appointed "to visit and examine the several schools that may be taught in the Township, and to give such advice to both teachers and scholars as he may think propper."
Fractional District No. 4, of Delhi and Alaiedon, was formed March 22, 1844, to include sections 25 and 36 in Delhi, and sections 30, 31, and part of 32, and the west half of the southeast quarter of section 29 in Alaiedon. District No. 5 was formed April 23, 1853.
Among the early school inspectors were Thomas J. BROWN, Israel R. TREMBLY, David WAIT, R.P. EVERETT, Don A. WATSON, H.H. NORTH, James JOLES, Manning CURRY, L.R. CHADDOCK, and John D. CORY. All previous to 1860.
In the list of early teachers examined and licensed we find the following:
No satisfactory account of the earlier schools in the township has been obtained, from the fact that those who were depended upon to furnish items were absent from the township when the writer was at work in it. It is probable, however, that but a short time elapsed after the township was settled before schools were organized, for the pioneers had considerable families of children. At Dansville a district was organized in the spring of 1846, and a log school-house was built. The boards used in making the floors and teacher's desk were drawn with oxen from Caleb CARR's saw-mill, in Wheatfield, by Lonson HILL, and four days from the time work was commenced on the building Mr. HILL's oldest daughter, Catherine E. HILL, then only thirteen years of age, began teaching in it, and was employed in that capacity for two years. The log school-house was used for four or five years, and then gave place to a frame building. About 1868-70 the present two-story brick Union school-building was erected, at a cost of $7,000.
From the report of the township school inspectors, for the year ending Sept.
1, 1879, are the following items:
The First School
In 1851 the house was moved away and a two-story brick house erected in its place. It had four school-rooms, and cost probably $5000. Among the early teachers were George and Mary LATHROP and Jane E. HOWE, now Mrs. H.D. BARTHOLOMEW. In 1850, 172 children were reported. Among the active early friends of the school were James TURNER (deceased), D.L. CASE, J.R. PRICE, and Smith TOOKER. There was no abatement of educational interest in the district until the consolidation of all districts in the city in 1861. This district was previously known as No. 2.
The Second Movement
The Second District
The last school taught in the house above mentioned was in 1855, by Rollin C. DART, assisted by Miss Mary RICE. The house was moved to the corner of Capitol Avenue and Kalamazoo Street, and sold to the United Brethren for a church. On the disbandment of that church it was converted into a dwelling-house - practically rebuilt. Two more lots were added to the site, and the present Second Ward house - the main part - was erected and furnished at a cost of about $9000.
In 1859 the district reorganized, under the new law for graded schools, with six trustees. The trustees elected were S.R. GREENE, C.W. BUTLER, Franklin LaRUE, Theo. HUNTER, George W. SWIFT, and L.K. HEWITT. The first two are still residents of Lansing, and all are living except Mr. HEWITT.
In the autumn of 1860 a portion of the roof was blown off by a storm, and repaired a an expense of nearly $1000. The last teachers previous to 1861 were F.G. RUSSELL, -now of Detroit, - principal, with Misses Harriet A. FARRAND, - now an editor of the Chicago Advance, - Eliza A. FOOTE, and Emily NASH, now Mrs. E.H. PORTER; the latter two still residents of Lansing.
Among the active friends of the school in this district in the earlier years, and still residents of Lansing, were Henry GIBBS, S.R. GREENE, William H. CHAPMAN, Charles W. BUTLER, Whitney JONES, S.W. WRIGHT, R.C. DART, Ephraim LONGYEAR, H.B. SHANK, Ezra JONES, A.R. BURR, and S.S. CORYELL. Several of these have at different times been members of the board of education under the city charter.
District No. 3
No important changes were made in the schools, except perhaps in the employment of a higher grade of teachers. No new buildings were erected until 1867, when the brick house south of cedar River, containing two rooms, and a similar one in the Fourth Ward, were built. They cost about $3500 each.
The Schools Graded
During the existence of the college about 1000 young ladies received instruction and fifty were graduated after a full college course.
* Prepared by C.B. Stebbins.
The first school building in the township was located on section 19 on the township-line very soon after the advent of the earliest settlers. It was taught by Mrs. Ephraim MEECH, more familiarly known as Nancy MEECH, wife of the earliest settler. Children came a distance of three miles, many of whom had no shoes, and rags sewed about their feet as a protection against the cold were the only substitute. They brought a dinner of johnny-cake with them, which would often freeze in the school-room, so cold was it.
The second teacher was a young man named HAZARD, from Dexter, who was not successful in his discipline, and abandoned the field, which was resumed by Mrs. MEECH, who finished the term.
Jane HAZARD taught next, and was followed by Loantha SPAULDING, now Mrs. SWEET.
As the population increased, the patrons of this school were confined to the immediate neighborhood, and other school-houses were built for the convenience of the settlers.
The school territory of the township is now divided into six whole and three fractional districts, over whom the following board of directors are appointed: A.F. HORTON, J. KIRKLAND, Alexander DARROW, Garrison STARKWEATHER, William TOBIAS, George M. SMITH, C.W. CHAPMAN, C.F. SMITH, James DUNN.
The school property of Leroy is valued at $4075, which includes one log and eight frame school-houses. During the past year 128 scholars received instruction. They were under the immediate care of 4 male and 14 female teachers, who received an aggregate amount of $1455.80 in salaries. The total resources of the township for educational purposes are $2935,14, of which $237.07 is derived from the primary school fund.
The first school-house in the township was built at what is now Leslie village, in the fall of 1837, and is now used as a dwelling by S.O. RUSSELL. It is a frame building. The name of the first teacher is not now recollected. The second, in the summer of 1837, was Mrs. F. BUTLER, sister to Mrs. E.K. GROUT, who had come to the township that year with her husband, Flavel J. BUTLER, at the same time with Dr. Valorous MEEKER. Miss MESSINGER taught, probably, next after Mrs. BUTLER. In 1843, Elizabeth BUGBEE taught in District No. 1, and Elizabeth S. GODFREY in No. 4, the latter district having been formed in 1842, in the southwest part of the township. Other early teachers in the township were:
In 1843 the books in use in District No. 1 were Webster's Speller, Testament, Hale's History, Smith's and Adams' Arithmetic, Olney's Geography, Kirkham's Grammar; in No. 2, the English Reader, Spelling, Geography, and Arithmetic. A school-house was built that year in No. 3, partly by subscription, partly by tax on property.
The first building in District No. 1 was used for a time, and gave place to the brick structure which is now used as a chapel by the First Congregational Church. Sept. 9, 1871, this district was organized as a "Union" district, and it was voted to raise $1500 by tax to apply on a new school building. The contract for building the house, which is a fine structure of brick, was awarded to WOODHOUSE & RICE for something over $10,000, and it was erected in 1867-68. About five years later a wing was added, on the south side, at an expense of about $3000. The entire cost of the building, including furniture, etc., was $15,000. The old brick edifice had been in use fifteen or twenty years before the new one was built. The school has six departments, in which the teachers for the school year are:
The school census of the district in the first week of September, 1880, was 376, and the fall term opened with an attendance of about 300. Mr. RANKIN, the Principal of the school, is a teacher of much experience. He was engaged four years at Cassopolis, and comes this year to Leslie for the first time. His predecessor, C.A. COOK, held the reigns of government in this school for eight years, and is now at Dexter, Washtenaw Co.
At the first meeting of the board of common-school inspectors of the town of Phelpstown, held on the 25th of April, 1839, Cornelius COLE was chosen chairman of the board, after which its members proceeded to divide town 4 north, of range 2 east, into districts as follows: Sections 1, 2, 3, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, and 15 comprised the first school district. Sections 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 34, 35, and 36 comprised the second school district. Sections 19, 20, 21, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, and 33 comprised the third school district. Sections 16, 17, 18, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, and 4 comprised the fourth school district.
The first public school money of which any record is found was distributed in Locke in 1844 in the following manner, the total amoutn having been $25.20: School District No. 1, 25 scholars, $9.85; School District No. 2, 15 scholars, $5.90; School District No. 3, 13 scholars, $5.12; School District No. 4, 11 scholars, $4.33.
The earliest school was taught in a shanty adjoining the residence of Benjamin PETTENGILL, but almost immediately after a school-house was erected on the northeast corner of the northwest quarter of section 14, which was familiarly known as the "Brown Eagle." It was a one-story structure built of logs, having been covered with bark laid on poles. The floor was made of split logs, as were also the seats, the desks having been of rough boards.
The chimney was constructed of sticks plastered with clay, which were occasionally found in a blaze from the nature of its combustible material. The boys would then assault it vigorously with snow balls until the fire was extinguished. The teacher who presided in this primitive domain was David BUSH, who remained for two terms, and received nine dollars per month. Messrs. Stephen AVERY, Leonard COLE, Cornelius COLE, Joshua MARSH, and benjamin PETTENGILL, were the earliest patrons of the school, and the teacher gave such general satisfaction that his wages for the second term were advanced to eleven dollars per month. The boys were generally clothed in the cast-off clothing of their fathers, or in a course fabric called "hard times," which also formed the rustic garb of the teacher. The girls' apparel was usually made of sheeting, which had been dyed with soft maple-bark and thus rendered brilliant and picturesque.
The teacher, Mr. BUSH, occasionally recalls for the amusement of his friends
the following incident:
Mr. BUSH was followed in his duties by Miss Rebecca MACOMBER, who was the second instructor in the township.
The school territory of the township is at present divided into six whole and two fractional districts, over whom preside, as a board of directors, the following gentlemen: O.F. PERRY, S.P. SUTHARD, Nicholas CRAHAN, George MACOMBER, O.G. DUNCKEL, Gardner RICE, R.G.C. KNIGHT, J.C. STOUGHTON.
Three hundred and seventy-two pupils, of whom twenty-four were non-residents, received instruction during the last year. They were under the direction of three male and fifteen female teachers, who received an aggregate annual amount of $1032.81 in salaries.
The value of school property, including one brick and seven frame buildings, is $4100. The total resources of the township for educational purposes are $1618.53, of which $189.29 is derived from the primary school fund.
The first school-house in Mason was built in the spring of 1837, and Miss Lucy taught the first school that summer, for which she received one dollar per week, her pupils numbering eight. Mrs. george W. SHAFER recollects that when she and her brother, Wright HORTON, came here in the fall of 1838, a frame school-house was standing, painted white, and the school was taught the following winter by Mary Ann ROLFE, afterwards the wife of Zaccheus BARNES. This house stood originally opposite the house now occupied by Mrs. A.E. STEELE, but has been removed and is now used as a dwelling by Mr. VANDERCOOK.
In 1864-65 the matter of choosing a site and building a new school-house was discussed in the district (No. 1 of Vevay), and the sum of $600 was voted to purchase a site for the new building. This money was afterwards, October, 1865, voted to be used in building an addition to the old school-house, and was thus expended. The building then in use was a frame structure, which is now standing northeast of the jail. Through the energy of C.D. HUNTINGTON and two others, a project for building a new and larger school-house was finally put to a vote and passed in the affirmative, the Union school being organized at about the same time. Sept. 21, 1868, it was voted to raise $15,000 for the purpose of building, the proposition being carried by a vote of fifty-three to seventeen. The site chosen included the north half of lots 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, in block 23, with the alley adjoining said lots, and one rod in width off the south end of lots 5, 4, 3, 2, and 1, and the west half of lot 1 in the same block (23), also lot "A" and that part of "A" Street south of the south line of Oak Street, and all of lot "E" except the south four rods. The contract for building was let to John E. SPENCER and D.D. HOAG, and the house was erected in 1869-70. It is three stories high, constructed of brick, and is an imposing edifice. The old school-house was sold to Dr. McROBERT for $300. The several departments in the school are: First and Second Primary; First and Second Intermediate, Grammar and High School. The present school board consists of the following persons: J.C. CANNON, Moderator; Milton RYAN, Director; George W. BRISTOL, Assessor; Theron VanOSTRAND, H.L. HENDERSON, N.A. DUNNING.
From the school inspector's report for the year ending Sept. 1, 1879,
The school records in possession of the town clerk go back no farther than
1849. The earliest formed district in the township was the Pine Lake District,
which may very possibly have been formed when the township comprised a part
of Alaiedon, previous to 1842. The first school in the township was taught
in the house of Robert R. SOWLE, on section 15, in 1841-42, by Mrs. George
HUCKINS, then a widow, now Mrs. R. MORTON. There were no districts then
organized, and the school was taught a part of the time summer and winter.
The second school in the township was taught in a log shanty adjoining the
dwelling of George MATTHEWS, on section 15, by Amy NUTT, in 1842. Her father
kept a log tavern in Livingston Co., Mich., between Howell and Fowlerville.
The first school-house in District No. 2, which included Okemos, or Hamilton, as it was first called, was built on the ground occupied by the present school building, about 1846. On this ground the Indians of Okemos' band were accustomed to bury their corn. The first building was a small frame, which was added to from time to time, and did service until the present building was erected.
The present fine frame school building was erected in 1873, at a cost, complete, with furniture, of $3400. It is about thirty by fifty feet in dimensions, two stories in height, and surmounted by a belfry. The building is divided into two school-rooms, with about 120 scholars. There are two departments, primary and intermediate, with two teachers employed, - a male teacher in the upper department, and a female in the lower.
Among the early teachers here were:
Charles HOLLISTER, Levi SOWLE, Wesley EMERY and wife, and Prof. INGERSOLL, of the State Agricultural College. Anson HARDY, the present principal, has served three consecutive years.
District No. 2 was formed, according to the record, April 21, 1849, and included sections 20, 21, 22, 23, and 26, the east half of 19, the northeast quarter of 30, and the north half of 27, 28, and 29.
District No. 5 was formed Feb. 25, 1851, in the southeast part of
the township, and included sections 23, 24, 25, 26, 35 and 36.
Among the early inspectors of the schools were W.T. RIGBY, A.W. BENNETT, Thomas HUMPHREY, Merit HARMON, Elijah RICHARDSON, William N. LEWIS,, M.W. BARNES, John H. MULLETT, Seely BLOOMER, M.D. MATTHEWS, William W. GIBSON, Cyrus ALSDORF, F.A. JEFFERS, and M.D. CHATTERTON.
There seems to have been the nucleus of a township school library in 1849, for on the 14th day of April in that year the inspectors "labeled and unlabled library books" and agreed to have a table and book-case made for the township library, "not to exceed five dollars in cost."
W. T. RIGBY was chosen to visit the schools in that year, "two visits each term."
The present number of districts in the township is seven, each furnished with a frame school building. The number of children between the ages of five and twenty years is 393. The value of school property is $5850. Total expenditures for 1879-80, $2470.13. There are also three fractional districts reported in Lansing and Alaiedon.
Aug. 12, 1837, the township of Onondaga, then a part of Aurelius, was
divided into two school districts, that portion east of the Grand River being
organized as No. 3, and that portion west of the river as No. 4, of Aurelius.
A log school-house was built on the brook, near Jeduthan Frye's former residence,
on section 29, probably in 1837, and a short summer term was taught by a
lady whose name is now forgotten.
The early school records of Stockbridge afford no information regarding its
educational interests other than the division of the township into sight
whole and fractional school districts. The time and energies of the
board of school inspectors seemed chiefly employed in enlarging or diminishing
the borders of the various districts, as other business, with the exception
of an occasional apportionment of school moneys, is not a matter of record.
A small log school-house was built at the ROLFE settlement about 1840, and a few pupils attended the school which was taught in it. The first teacher was very probably Miss Lucy ROLFE, daughter of Jonathan ROLFE, she being a popular teacher in the neighborhood. Her father did not come here, and she remained for only a comparatively short time.
In what is now District No. 5, in the east part of town, Helen LOWELL taught a summer school in 1845, and Mrs. HORTON in the winter following. A log school-house had been built, and school had been kept in it for two or three years previously.
In what is now District No. 6, Elizabeth MARSHALL taught in the winter of 1846-47, the first school in the district. A frame school-house was used, which now answers for a shop on the farm of Adelbert A. HAWLEY.
WHITE OAK TOWNSHIP
The early school records convey little information of value to the historian, and are chiefly records of the various alterations in the boundaries of school districts from 1839 until the present time. The board of school inspectors of the newly-organized township of White Oak met on the 30th day of April, 1839, at the office of the township clerk, and having chosen John CLEMENTS chairman and William A. DRYER clerk, proceeded to a division of the township into districts.
The earliest school was opened in 1836 in the fractional district then embracing a portion of Stockbridge. The school-house was located in the above township near the division-line, but had among its patrons the early settlers in White Oak. Elizabeth LOWE was the first instructor, and presided for three successive terms. Probably the Clements district enjoyed the earliest educational privileges afforded within the township limits. The township is now divided into five whole and three fractional districts, over whom preside the following board of directors: W.H. SMITH, C. ZOCUM, S. GAINS, William T. GODLY, Charles ODELL, Thomas WESTERN, W.H.J. ACKERSON, and J.W. HENDRICK. The total number of children receiving instruction is 273, of whom fifteen are non-residents. They are under the superintendence of five male and twelve female teachers, who receive in salaries an aggregate amount of $974.50 annually. The school property includes eight frame school buildings. The total resources of the township for educational purposes are $2188.81, of which $214.63 is derived from the primary school fund.
The first school in the township was kept in a log building, on the west
half of the northeast quarter of section 34, by Susan COCHRAN, about
1840. Another early teacher was Saphronia WORDEN, a niece of Mrs. David GORSLINE,
in 1841-42. The school-house in the Whitcomb neighborhood was built in 1841
or 1842. It was a shed-roofed log building, and the second in the township.
The third was probably built in what is now District No. 3, about 1846. Mahala
BLANCHARD taught in that district first, or among the first. Among early
teachers, but later than those already mentioned, were the following, who
were examined by the board of school inspectors and received certificates,
The number of children between the ages of five and twenty, including Williamston village, is 678. Value of school property, $19,425; total expenditures for 1879-80, $5594.40.
The first action concerning public schools appears of record in 1840, when it was voted to raise a fund of $150 for their support.
The first items entered in the regular school record were in 1844, February 10th, when the first school district was formed as follows: District 1 to consist of sections 34, 35 and 36, the west half of the southeast quarter of 25, the east half of the southeast quarter of 26, the southeast quarter of 27, the southwest quarter of 24, and the southeast quarter of 23, to be called District No. 1, of the township of Phelpstown.
At that time Jesse P. HALL, O.B. WILLIAMS, and L.H. LOUNSBURY were inspectors of schools.
On the 26th of April following District No. 2 was formed, to be composed as follows: Sections 36, and the south half of 25, in the town of Bath, Clinton Co., and sections 4,5,8,and 9, in Phelpstown, to be known as District No. 2, of Phelpstown, and District No. 3, of Bath.
On the 3rd of May, 1845, District No. 3 was formed as follows: Sections No. 21,22,23,15,14,13,12, and the east half and southwest quarter of section 11. H.B. WILLIAMS, H.C. GRATTAN, and Aaron DURAND were the school inspectors.
In the spring of 1845 the inspectors purchased 185 volumes of books, established a library, and appointed H.B. WILLIAMS librarian.
Among others who were examined and licensed to teach from 1845 to 1850, we
find the names of the following:
At a meeting in District No. 2, Oct. 6, 1845, it was voted to have nine months' school, that it should be kept by "a woman-teacher;" the school to commence on the first Monday in November....
The fine new school building now in use by the village district was erected in 1875, at a cost of $15,000. The lot on which it stands, which is in the township of Wheatfield, was presented to the district by Col. R.W. OWENS. The father of Col. OWENS was formerly a member of Congress from the State of Georgia, and owned an extensive plantation in Habersham County. He was one of a company which purchased lands in Michigan at an early date, and when a division was subsequently made became owner of the tract at Williamston. The colonel fell heir to this property and visited it occasionally, but his ownership was no advantage to the village, for the land remained vacant, and stood as a barrier in the way of improvements. During the war of the Rebellion he was an outspoken rebel, and served with some distinction in the Confederate army. This fact was very nearly the cause of confiscation of all his property in the North. The matter was carried before the United States Court at Detroit, but after considerable delay was finally dismissed. The colonel visits Williamston occasionally, and during one of these visits made a present of the land to the district. It is finely situated, and the building erected upon it is at once an honor to the village and a commentary upon the condition of schools in the State where the colonel resides. But the apparently generous act of the wealthy Southerner was not without sufficient cause. Parties on the north side of the river had offered to give a site and $200 in money if the building were erected on that side, and the prospect of rapid improvement in that direction, and the loss of corresponding growth on the south side, touched a sympathetic chord in the colonel's bosom, and the result was the gift in question.
The building is of brick, three stories and basement in height, and contains four school-rooms, two recitation-rooms, and a public hall on the third floor. The school is divided into four departments, -primary, intermediate, grammar, and high, - making it a graded school. It is under the control of a male principal and three female teachers, whose salaries are $650 per annum for the principal and $320 for the female teachers, making a total of $1610 paid the four...
The board of trustees for the year 1880 is composed of the following gentlemen: M. COAD, M.D., President; D.L. CROSSMAN, Director; M.V. JESSOP, Assessor; J.M. WILLIAMS, J.F. KRUMBECK, William L. BROWN.
Return to Ingham
'School days, school days,
Dear old Golden Rule days,
Readin' and Ritin' and Rithmetick,
Taught to the tune of a hickory stick -
You were my queen in calico,
I was your bashful barefoot beau,
And you wrote on my slate,
I love you, Joe,
When we were a couple of kids.